Saturday, February 16

Projecting the 2008 Braves: Rotation Edition.

#1 - Smoltz - 33 GS, 220 IP, 16-7, 3.20 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and 8.5 K/9
#2 - Hudson - 33 GS, 210 IP, 15-9, 3.60 ERA, 1.30 WHIP and 5.5 K/9
#3 - Glavine - 33 GS, 205 IP, 14-9, 4.20 ERA, 1.40 WHIP and 4.5 K/9
#4 - Hampton - 24 GS, 145 IP, 10-8, 4.00 ERA, 1.40 WHIP and 4.5 K/9
#5 - James - 24 GS, 145 IP, 12-8, 4.10 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 6.5 K/9

Once again, I'm feeling quite optimistic. This projection leaves only 15 starts unaccounted for, so I guess we'll let those be league average to round out the optimism. Hampton and James are question marks and it would probably be a good year if they combined for 24 starts and even then their production could very well be much worse than what I'm expecting. Glavine is another that may be declining more than I project, but I have faith that his return to Atlanta will have a positive effect. As for Smoltz and Huddy, I think they should be every bit as good as I published above.

This rotation is deep and strong throughout, coupled with the previously described offense, could well lead to a return to the top of the division. I'm assuming that most everything will break our way, but I'm tired of my own pessamism. We're due for a little good luck after two empty Octobers in a row. I feel so good about this team's upside that I'll be placing a small bet on them to reach the three possible championships: division title, league pennant and World Series winners. Go Braves!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man,
So I came to check out your blog to comment on your thoughts on the pitching situation.

I see you haven't updated in almost a month!!

Anyways,
I liked your thoughts on Talking Chop but I don't think Yates is on his way out. I think Bobby knows his potential and though he hasn't dominated he's getting the ball down some more. I think Resop may be the odd man out and I think James will be starting in Richmond this year.

Anyway, cool blog. Keep it updated and I'll be around with some more comments. I hope you'll do the same over at http://bravesblog.net
and leave me your thoughts on the bullpen on my post "The 'Pen". Thanks, man! Here's hoping to starting a new string of titles and World Series win!

JB in ATL

Mari said...

I hope that small bet includes cake.